The Art Of Looking ... A Walk Around A Block

 Every Sunday morning, I receive a wonderful weekly email
called "Brain Pickings".  Brain Pickings is a human-powered discovery 
engine for interestingness, a subjective lens on what 
matters in the world and why, bringing you things you 
didn’t know you were interested in — until you are.

This week, Brain Pickings featured a book that explores how
we are so blind to our own surroundings.  Alexandra Horowitz in her
book "On Looking", teaches her readers how to see again.

One of the activities Alexandra Horowitz describes in her book, 
was her taking 11 walks around a city block. 
 She records her quest of walking with 11 different experts from an artist, 
to a geologist to her dog.  They all see and sense this same walk 
very differently.  It's a wonderful exercise, don't you think?
 I decided to walk to my doctor's office which is only
15 minutes from my home and take pictures along my walk
of anything that caught my eye.  I only took my iPhone because
I wanted to spend more time looking and
not fooling with my camera.

This little activity was the week before I read the Brain Pickings article 
and it was quite a happy coincidence that they came so closely together.
I love giving myself little assignments when I go on my walk.
I usually find walks so boring but if I have something to take my
mind off my "exercise" plan, the time just flies by.  
And .... I'm inspired.
It goes back to the Julia Cameron's suggestion of an
"Artist's Trip" each week.
 This is Maria Callas.
Her photo was in a music store window.
She would make a wonderful subject for one
of my painted pillow ladies.
 This reclining nude is outside a building where I use to
work as a consultant many, many years ago.  I remember
passing her each day as I walked into my office and I could
even see her from my desk.  She's like an old friend
and always thought she was so beautiful.
This was the first time I photographed her.
 I am not sure if the figures in this sculpture are women
but they look like it to me.
They are outside my old condo in Yorkville which is an
area of lovely art galleries.  
For years I walked by the lovely sculptures but never
stopped to really look at them.  I was always so busy
running to the next meeting or picking up my son ....
I took this photo with Instagram.
I love how they turned out.

I am definitely going to read Alexandra Horowitz's
book.  I don't want to miss as much as I obviously have
over the years.  I need to slow down.  I need to use all
my senses when I walk down the street ....
see, hear, smell, feel ...
and then stop off at a café 
and taste.

What do you love seeing when you
take your walks?


Visit Priscilla Mae et al:

Pinterest      Facebook       Etsy Shop

Popular Posts