Creating A Travel Journal For My Trip To Paris

 In a couple of weeks, I am going to Paris.
This time though, instead of running around the city 
with my head cut off, I am going to take it slower and
incorporate a bit of an art project into my day.

I have always been fascinated with travel journals as a
creative way to remember a journey.  I have made journals
before but they have been more cut, paste and writing.
This time, I would like to try and incorporate some 
illustrations and color unto the pages.
Paris is a feast for the eyes ...
I just want to see if I can capture a small part of it.
 What supplies will I need?

1.  A hard cover blank book that is 4 X 6 or 5 X 7 in size so that you
      can carry it in your purse or backpack.  Moleskin make great
      journals .. their paper is good quality that will hold some water color. 
2.  2H or 3H pencils  ... the leads won't smudge with these.
3.  Eraser ... Magic Rub is a good brand.
4.  Pencil box to hold everything in one place.
5.  Water color pencils
6.  Black permanent ink pens.
7.  Water brush ... can put water in pen's barrel so you
     don't need a cup of water to paint.
8.  Ruler
9.  Small scissors
 Using my journal on the trip.

I will try to find some time each day to write down my entries 
or at least notes to remind me of something I did, or 
saw or ate or whatever strikes my fancy.  Writing little notes on 
the back of tickets, or receipts will help me to remember where 
and what I did for that day.  I am older now ... 
memory might be an issue.

I don't want to focus on just the outward things on my trip but
also include my feelings and impressions and
little stories that will make my journal come alive. 
 These are the memories that I want to keep.

 Whenever I travel, I love to stop at a café and
order a cup of coffee and pull out my little journal
and start writing.  I think I become more inspired by
the atmosphere when I am outside of my hotel or apartment.  

I stop a lot when I'm sightseeing ... it is a vacation after all.
People watching is my favorite part of travel and
of course, tasting a favorite local treat comes in
a clear second.  This is a great activity when
I am traveling on my own.  One of the most
fun ideas I want to try on this trip is to eaves drop on 
conversations and work them into my journal.  
The imagination can be a wonderful tool.


 I am never without my camera but this year,
 I can't wait to try Instagram.  It will add
a different perspective to my Paris photos.

I am going to buy postcards and fill in the notes on the back and
mail them back to my home.  What a fun surprise it will
be to arrive back and still be able to enjoy more memories.
Postcards add a lot to journals, as do museum stubs, logo
from a napkin, maps, etc. 

This journal reminds me of Paris Letters that I featured
several weeks ago in one of my posts.  
This is what I want to try on this trip ... 

I have to figure out if my journal will have a theme or not.
I have been collecting lots of names of fun retail and art
happenings in Paris .... I am going to explore new arrondissements 
that I have never visited and move outside the usual tourist
milieu.  I am sure that I will be inspired by lots
of new sights and feelings on this trip.
Can't wait!

Here's a fun YouTube feature on Travel Journals.
It was produced by Hidilley and is her travel
journal to the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland.
She's a very creative journalist. 
Enjoy.


Photos:  2-dispatchfromia., 3-sfgirlbybay.com, 4-pret-a-voyage
5-candimandi, 6-OnFoot4now

Popular Posts