The Oldest Bookstore In Paris

For all the years that I have visited Paris, I've never 
been to Shakespeare and Company bookstore.  It's not because I hadn't tried.  I had difficulty finding it. 

In October, I decided I would not leave this beautiful city without a visit to this very famous bookstore.  
So armed with a map this time, which I never travel with, 
I found it easily.  Made me rethink my 
practice of wandering aimlessly in search of a place 
and not asking directions.  
Could I have been a man in a previous life? 
There is was ....  right across the Notre Dame, 
south of the Seine in the 5th arrondissement 
just like the map showed.  
I thought it was still on rue de l'Odeon.
The store is quite small but so delightful.  
I felt like I had taken a step back in time.
The original Shakespeare Bookstore was established on November 17, 1919 by Sylvia Beach.  It was located at 12, rue de l'Odeon and was the gathering place of a number of prominent authors such as Ezra Pound, Ernest Hemingway and James Joyce.  That store was closed during World War II but was reopened in the 1950's at it's present location ... 
37, rue de la Bucherie.
The inside of the little shop is like being in vintage book heaven.  There are new and used English books, rare books and a great French travel section.
What a fun and unique shop.  Notice the old ceiling beams.
I will be showing you more pictures of this famous Parisian landmark in my next post.  

Woody Allen used Shakespeare and Company bookstore
in his most recent film,  "Midnight in Paris."  Do you
remember the scene?

The American born owner of Shakespeare and Company died on Wednesday in his apartment above the store.  George Whitman was 98 years old.





Popular Posts